On November 1st the 4th Division, in conjunction with the 3rd Division, were to cross the inundated area to the west and north-west front of Valenciennes, and under cover of this attack the Canadian engineers were to construct what bridges they could leading directly into the city.

The position of the Canadian artillery, now up to full strength and with additional heavy guns, was advantageous. It could fire against the enemy positions on the plateau as well as keep up a frontal barrage. Very strict orders were issued that, if possible to avoid it, the city must not be shelled, and this was not done except for a strong line of machine-gun posts the enemy had constructed in the houses along the bank of the canal. These were soon obliterated. Aulnoy and Marly were also, of necessity, razed by our guns, as the Germans had made them into very strong outposts which would have cost much in Canadian lives to capture the infantry attack...

...The assault, timed for 5.50 in the morning, was carried forward in brilliant fashion. It was a most difficult operation, but carefully planned, and the losses of the Canadians were small..

With the barrage almost perfect, and demoralizing for the defenders, the attacking divisions pushed right on to their objective, the Valenciennes-Maubeuge railway, which was taken on schedule time...

...A few days after this great city was taken President Poincaré made his state entry into the place. It was the last of the great French cities to be liberated and there were tremendous scenes of enthusiasm. The president called the Canadian commanders to him and congratulated them and their troops on the brilliant work they had done and the careful manner in which they had refrained from damaging the city.

Roland H. Hill, "Cambrai to Valenciennes," in Canada in the Great World War: An Authentic Account of the Military History of Canada from the Earliest Days to the Close of the War of the Nations, vol. 5 (Toronto: United Publishers of Canada Limited, 1920), pp. 218-220.