With the reconstruction of Port Royal on the eastern shore of the Bay of Fundy (Nova Scotia) after 1613, the Governor of the small colony took measures for the defence of the settlement. He ordered all the male settlers to assist in the defence of Port Royal in 1627. Each citizen was responsible for the maintenance of his weapon and an adequate supply of powder and shot. In addition, a wooden stockade was built to protect the main settlement. Trade with the neighbouring First Nations had secured peaceful relations and alliances with the Mi'kmaq and Abenaki.