In 1924, the air services of the Canadian government were reorganized, and, on 1 April 1924, the prefix "royal" was officially adopted. The Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) became a permanent component in Canada's defence force. While basically a separate service, the RCAF was placed under the army chief of staff. The RCAF was also responsible for many civil aviation operations, including forestry patrols, anti-smuggling patrols, forest spraying, and aerial surveying.
In 1931, the RCAF opened its main training base at Trenton, Ontario.