In mid-November 1916, the British High Command assigned the Canadian Corps to new positions in the Vimy sector. At the time, the sector was relatively quiet, and the Canadian Corps received much-needed rest and reinforcements that brought the divisions up to full strength. General Sir Douglas Haig, the British Commander-in-Chief, informed the Canadian Corps commander, Lieutenant-General Julius Byng, that Major-General David Watson's 4th Canadian Division would be assigned to the Canadian Corps at the end of November. With the addition of the 4th Canadian Division, the Canadian Corps would have sufficient strength for planned offensive operations in the spring of 1917.

 

Copyright © 2015 The Loyal Edmonton Regiment Museum
Prince of Wales Armouries Heritage Centre
10440 - 108 Ave, Edmonton